Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I haven't done much 'art' today except make some cards - a quick 20 minutes while the children were happy and before I made more pancakes. But I did get the chance to look at some blogs when I should have been working this morning. I do think the blogging world is great; there are women out there of all ages, nationalities, backgrounds, all creating art in some form or another. Just as women have been doing for generations. So even though we're told that textiles are not popular (ie not for school lessons anyway) it's all rubbish - it's as popular as ever! And our blogs prove it!

Since starting a blog and reading others I find myself often, as I sit sewing away in my room, wondering who else is sewing at the same time and what they're busy doing? When I quilt, which isn't often although I find the hand quilting very therapeutic, I think of the Amish quilts I saw when I was in the US a few years ago and those women sitting sewing by lamplight.

So I will persevere in teaching my daughter to sew. It's so important that future generations carry this on. Although I really can't believe this form of art will ever die out.

1 comment:

Becky Mairi Farrell said...

I so agree, and the art keeps evolving and developing. Purplemissus (link from my blog if you haven't found your way there yet) has been blogging about embroidered postcards from the WW1. Throughout history women have been sewing, mostly without any recognition or even thanks. I wish I had learned to sew as a child, it's great that you're teaching yours.

I love to think of this community of artistic women we have here in blogland. Women who often would otherwise have no voice are blogging and making connections all over the world.