Saturday, May 3, 2008

First day of Oxfordshire Artweeks and I'm so tired! We set up yesterday. I'm sharing a studio with another woman in my village. She lives in an amazing old Victorian grange with a huge garden and beautiful studio. I'm not jealous - honestly! She also imports 'animals' made from wire and beads from South Africa. They're made by Zimbabwean refugees and they're fantastic. My daughter has so far fallen in love with the elephant, the zebra, the goat and the crocodile. I have a personal favourite in the sheep. I can't really see a zebra on the lawn of an Oxfordshire cottage somehow! (I'll post some photos tomorrow).

Anyway, we sat and chatted for the first hour then people started arriving. We're open from 12-6pm every day for the next week - rather a challenge. Anyway we had quite a few visitors up until 4.30pm then all went quiet. It's great fun talking to people who are really interested in what you're doing and I've had lots of admiring comments (though no hard sales unfortunately). I'm trying to 'sell' the Embroiderers' Guild as much as I can as well; we may well get some visitors at least through this.

2 comments:

Becky Mairi Farrell said...

This sounds exhausting but really rewarding too. Hope it went well.

liz said...

I was interested in your thought that the name might put people off. I think it does to middle aged people like me who are trying to pretend they are not middle aged!
I have chosen you to pass on the excellence award to. I think you need to copy it from my blog if you want to display it. I won't be offended if you don't want it, I know some people don't like these things.